Right when you’re starting to feel like you are ready for a vacation from all the cold winter weather, tulips start blooming around you and spring begins to brighten your days. This signature spring flower is a wonderful way to bring some much needed light into your home decor, and we’re showing you how to make these beautiful blooms out of crepe paper. The coloring on real tulips can almost look like brushstrokes, with white and pink hues marbled together on each petal. To create this effect, we used art markers on our crepe paper tulips and the result was gorgeous.
Tools & Materials
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Crepe Paper [Extra Fine: Chiffon, White, Cypress]
- Art Markers (pink, yellow)
- 18 Gauge Floral Wire
- Floral Tape
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template below and cut your crepe pieces according to the template.
- To make the flower stamens, twist each piece of fringe as shown, leaving the tip rounded. One the second, non-fringed center piece, twist the center of the crepe strip once.
- Fold the twisted flower center in half and glue around floral wire, then glue the twisted stamen piece around the base. Color the rounded tips of the center pieces with yellow marker.
- Use pink marker to color the petals and let dry. Add another layer of color to the tip of the petals to create a gradient effect.
- Fold the petal in half, slightly off center. Fold the wider side again to create a seam in the petal (see photo tutorial below). Add a tiny amount of glue to either end to secure. S
- Gently curl the petals with the edge of scissors. Stretch the petals on either side of the crease.
- Glue 3 petals evenly around the center of the flower, then glue the last three between.
- Wrap the base of the flower and floral wire with floral tape, attaching the leaves to the stem near the bottom with a dot of glue and more tape.
Take a look at the photo tutorial below for a visual guide to crafting your crepe paper tulips!
Crepe paper is unlike any other paper material, and because of this there are specific ways that it should be handled and manipulated. If you are new to crafting with crepe we always recommend watching our Crepe 101 video for tips on cutting and stretching the paper. There are plenty of art markers that can be great for adding color to crepe, but we specifically like using Copic brand. We have designed crepe tulips in the past, but we must say that this newest technique blows the original tulips out of the water!
We have just recently started playing with adding marker to crepe paper flowers, so to experiment more with the technique be sure to try out our crepe paper crocuses. Browse all of our crepe paper flower tutorials, or look through our crepe paper collection to find more inspiration. Do you have a crepe paper flower you would like to make? Always feel free to leave your project requests and suggestions in the comments below! And we love seeing your project photos, so please share them with us on Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia. If you want to try out more DIY projects after you finish checking out these tulips, read through our membership options to see how to start crafting with us. See you soon! ~ Lia & Team