Have you heard about this charcoal face mask craze? Charcoal can have some serious cleansing power! If you have problem skin, this is definitely the ingredient for you. Because it draws out toxins, it is perfect for those who tend to struggle with acne, oily skin or blackheads. For those of you who have been wondering about how to make your own activated charcoal face mask, here is our DIY charcoal face mask recipe that you can whip up and try out at home.
- 1/2 tsp Activated Charcoal
- 1/2 tsp Bentonite Clay
- 1/4 tsp Coconut Oil, melted or very soft
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Water
We found all of our charcoal mask ingredients on Amazon, but you should also be able to pick these up at a local health store.
How to Make a Charcoal Mask
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl or container using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula. It is very important that you are not using any metal utensils or containers to mix or store the ingredients – the bentonite clay will absorb the metals and becomes less effective.
- Apply the mask to your face, being careful not to get any on your clothes (the charcoal can leave a stain).
- Leave the mask on for about 10 minutes, then wash it off with warm water and a soft cloth.
Find a printable version of this DIY charcoal face mask in the template at the bottom of the post!
- Although charcoal is a 100% natural ingredient, it can be very strong, so we recommend testing out this face mask recipe on some small part of your skin before applying it to your face.
- We would not suggest that individuals with known skin sensitivities use this recipe. For those with sensitive skin, you can try our honey and ginger salt scrub instead for a great exfoliant.
- Because a charcoal mask can draw out so many toxins, we recommend applying a hydrating moisturizer afterward so that your skin doesn’t dry out.
- This recipe only makes enough mixture for one generous mask. Do not make more than you will need, because it will not store well! It will dry out pretty easily and you won’t want it to go to waste.
- Add a charcoal face mask to your beauty routine every few weeks. Do not do a mask more than once a week because it can really dry out your skin if you aren’t careful.
More DIY Beauty Recipes
If you want to make your own special makeup towel like the one in our photos, find our tutorial here. Browse all of our DIY beauty recipes for other ways to include natural products in your everyday routine. Do you have a go-to product that you make yourself? We would love to hear from you! Give us your feedback in the comments after trying this DIY charcoal face mask, or share your project photos with us using #DIYDreamingWithLia on Instagram. Become a part of our community of fearless DIYers and see how you can start empowering your creative side with us. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.