Your New Go-To Beach Tote
We’ve been discovering the versatility of cotton clothesline as a craft material. Of course it is a great material for making macrame projects, but other than this you can make a whole variety of home goods. Today we are showing you how to make a DIY rope tote bag, perfect for a sturdy beach bag or reusable grocery bag. We have shared DIY canvas tote tutorials in the past, but a rope tote is better for when you need a more durable bag.
Tools & Materials
- Sewing Machine
- Sewing Pins
- 7/32″ Cotton Clothesline
- Leather Straps (Similar)
- White Thread
- Paint of your choice (optional)
Crafting your Rope Tote
We do not have a photo tutorial for this project because it uses the same technique as our cotton clothesline baskets and bowls. As you sew, cotton clothesline is fairly easy to mold into the shape you are wanting. While you are coiling the rope, use your hands to manipulate the shape as you go. Start by deciding how large you want your tote to be. Create the flat base, then build it up from there.
Adding Leather Straps
Once you finish sewing up your DIY rope tote, you can decorate it with custom straps and paint colors. We added leather straps for a textural accent, but a pretty (but sturdy) ribbon could also work well. You can even make straps by upcycling your old leather belts!
To attach the straps:
- Punch 4 holes at each end of the straps in a square pattern (refer to photos).
- Starting inside the bag, thread a piece of clothesline out and through a hole in the strap.
- Thread back through the hole that is diagonal and back into the bag.
- Repeat with the two remaining holes to create the X (refer to photos).
- Finish with both ends of the threads inside of the bag and sew them into place to secure the straps.
- Repeat these instructions with the other end of your strap and the second strap.
Just like our cotton clothesline baskets, we painted a block of metallic gold faux finish on the bottom, but any sort of paint should absorb well into the cotton material. If you’re really feeling creative, why not paint a whole sunny scene on the side of your new bag!
Browse all our cotton clothesline projects for inspiration, or look through our collection of DIY totes you can incorporate into your wardrobe. What other cotton clothesline projects would you like to make? Let us know in the comments and we can try bringing them to life! Pop over to our membership page to get in on the crafty fun with us or follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for inspiration right in your newsfeed. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team