Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Our craft collection this month has a western theme. So naturally we needed something with a cactus on it! Designed by Krista, our felt desert wall hanging features a saguaro cactus, a sun high up in the bright sky, and rolling desert hills in different shades.
This DIY wall hanging is a beginner-friendly project with simple embroidery and a fringe at the bottom. Just follow our tutorial below to make your own version!
As far as the cacti can see
We love the layered, abstract look of this felt desert wall hanging. You can use it for some southwestern decor. Or it would be really cute in a kid’s room, too. If you’re a fan of this style, you could make our southwest sunset banner as well to hang in another room.
Everything we used for this project is linked below. Don’t forget you can use different colors of felt for your felt desert wall hanging — just make sure the embroidery floss matches the colors you choose. When you’re done crafting, be sure to share photos with us!
Skill level: Beginner
Crafting tip: You can use tacky glue instead of sewing, if you prefer.
Embroidery stitches used: Whip, straight, and backstitch. Need more guidance on these stitches? Check out our free embroidery guide.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needles
- Straight Pins
- Iron and ironing board
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Ruler or Measuring Tape
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Blush, Rose Quartz, Oakwood, Crimson, Paprika, Almond, Shady Grove, and Cream
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Ultra Light Dusty Rose (963), Very Light Shell Pink (224), Dark Copper Red (918), Very Dark Shell Pink (221), Medium Copper (920), Green Gray (3053), Avocado Green (469), ECRU, and Light Mocha Beige (3864)
- 3/8″ Wooden Dowel — cut to 10.5″
- Cotton Twine
- Heat N Bond Fusible Interfacing — Medium
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
How to Make a Desert Wall Hanging
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to template using a cutting machine with a rotary blade (optional) or scissors. Measure and cut out a rectangle for the background of the wall hanging that measures 8” X 19.5”.
- Align the edges of the first layer piece and the background banner with the bottom and pin in place. Whip stitch just the top edge using 1 strand of the Ultra Light Dusty Rose (963) floss.
- Align and pin on the next layer, whip stitching the top edge using 1 strand of the Very Light Shell Pink (224) floss.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member