We have been getting requests for more aquatic animals lately. And since dolphins were at the top of the list, that’s where we started! Compared to some of our other stuffies, these felt dolphins involve minimal construction and felt pieces, making them a great stuffie for beginners.
Our pattern below includes two sizes of dolphins, which are simple to cut by hand. For a more precise cut, we recommend using detail scissors. However, you are always welcome to use your Maker or Cameo 4!
Ready to start crafting your felt dolphins? This DIY project is perfect for anyone who wants to test the waters with sewing 3D animals. Just gather the tools and materials you need below and follow our step-by-step tutorial.
When picking out your felt, you can use the same colors we did or choose your own. As you can see in the photos, our designer Krista made her dolphins in two different shades of blue with contrasting white bellies. There is plenty of room to get creative with not just the colors of felt you select but with how you use this project. For example, you could craft just the larger size as a handmade toy for kids, or make a few small felt dolphins for an ocean-themed baby mobile.
Whatever you do, we hope you share it with us! As always, you can post photos of your projects on our private Facebook page for members or by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram.
Skill level: Beginner-friendly
Crafting tips: If you need a refresher on how to do a whip stitch or blanket stitch, make sure to check out our embroidery guide. New to crafting felt animal stuffies and want to learn more? Take our mini course, 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (recommended)
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Craft Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Stuffing Tool
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Dewy, Spruce, and Cotton
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Antique Blue (932), Blue Green (502), and Black (310)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Black Safety Eyes — 5mm and 6mm
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
How to Make Felt Dolphins
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine or scissors.
- Whip stitch the flippers to the underside where indicated in the PDF pattern using 2 strands of matching blue floss.
- Match up both of the body pieces and pin in place. Blanket stitch along the top edge, starting at the tail, using 2 strands of matching blue floss.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love this project? Check out some of our other aquatic crafts on the site, like our felt mermaid headband, our felt turtle stuffie, and our felt octopus. Or, browse all of our felt stuffies for more patterns and tutorials.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.