If you are venturing into the world of sewing, whether you are a newbie or a seasoned seamstress, you are going to want a reliable pincushion while you sew. Rather than buying a pincushion, you can always make your own! In the past we have shared a pincushion pattern for a charming cactus pincushion, and our newest DIY pincushion is this beautiful felt flower.
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt –Grape, Magenta, Juniper and Black
- Thread (purple, green)
- Poly-fill (1-2)
- Sewing Pins
- 3cm Felt Ball
- Heat n Bond Adhesive
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut an 8 x 8″ square of green felt and Heat n Bond. Iron paper onto felt, follow the instructions on the package.
- Place the second square of felt on top and iron together. This creates a double thick piece of felt for the leaves.
- Pin the template (at the bottom of the post) to the felt.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
You should be able to find a nice selection of felt at your local craft store, and of course in our shop! We found our felt ball from Benzie. If you want to turn this homemade pincushion into a wrist pincushion, you can easily sew an elastic band to the bottom of the flower. For more guidance on sewing projects, find our list of sewing essentials for tackling any sewing DIY.
Browse all of our sewing projects for inspiration on what projects to do next. If you love felt flowers, take a look at our collection of felt flower tutorials. Do you have an idea for a project you’d like to see on the site next? Let us know! Connect with the community and leave a comment with your feedback, requests and suggestions. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily glimpses of what we’re up to, and head to our membership page to start crafting with us. See you there! ~ Lia & Team
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.