You know how much we love to create new stuffies! So far, it’s mostly been cute animals. But today we are sharing our first-ever handmade doll. Our designer Krista crafted this adorable felt mermaid doll using high-quality felt, embroidery floss, and poly-fil.
And now you can craft her too! This is a great project for anyone who has made some of our stuffies before or is familiar with various hand-stitching techniques. Since Krista used several different stitches to make this felt mermaid doll, we are calling it an intermediate project. So if you’re more of a beginner, you may want to start with something simpler — like our felt fox coffee sleeves or our little felt squirrel.
A Fin-tastic Felt Project
We are absolutely in love with this felt mermaid stuffie! Krista included plenty of fantastic details to make this mermaid extra special, including the pretty green vines in her hair and her purple starfish accessory. She also gave her a two-toned tail.
You can use the exact same colors of felt as we did for your felt mermaid doll, or you can try out different colors. You could also craft a whole bunch of dolls. Or, have your favorite little ones weigh in on the creative process. The choice is up to you!
Once you have finished crafting your felt mermaid doll, we’d love to see it. Make sure to tag any photos you post on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #MadeWithLia.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Stuffing Tool
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Sweet Pea, Water Lily, Wisteria, Camel, Coral and Blush
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Very Light Plum (3608), White Lavender (24), Light Grape (3836), Tan (436), Medium Melon (3706), Ultra Light Dusty Rose (963), Light Bright Green (3851), Dark Pewter Grey (3799)
- Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
How to Make a Felt Mermaid Doll
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the mermaid pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to the pattern, using a Cricut Maker or scissors.
- Using the paper template for the scales, trace scallops onto the tail with a disappearing ink fabric pen. Backstitch over the guidelines with three strands of floss (see embroidery guide). Do not stitch too close to the edges and work one row at a time.
- Blanket stitch the tails to the body pieces, mirrored, using two strands of matching embroidery floss.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
If you’re crafting this felt doll for a kiddo who loves mermaids, we have some other projects that would go along perfectly with this one! For more make-believe fun, craft our felt starfish stuffies and our felt seahorse stuffies. Or, if your kid loves to play dress-up, they might like a felt mermaid headband and their own mermaid costume!
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.