Another member request! Designed by Krista, this felt orange tutorial shows you how to make a whole orange, half orange, and an orange slice. For an extra realistic touch, the slices also have felt seeds sewn in.
When you’re ready to start crafting, just download our template and tutorial below. This is a beginner friendly project with simple shapes to hand-sew, though knowledge of 3D construction helps.
An orange-inal DIY Craft
As with all of our felt food creations, this felt orange is perfect for kids who like to play pretend. And while you can craft these oranges as toys for imaginative play, they would also make a cute bowl arrangement too. For another dose of Vitamin C, you can add these felt lemons.
Skill level: Beginner
Stitches used: Blanket, whip, straight, and backstitch. For step-by-step tutorials on these stitches, check out our embroidery guide.
Crafting tips: Use thin cardboard to make those crisp felt orange slices, and roll the finished fruits in your hands to smooth out any lumps and bumps and make it round.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Wooden Skewer
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Tangerine, Mango, Buttercup, Juniper, and Camel
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Medium Tangerine (741), Deep Canary (972), Tan (436), and Avocado Green (469)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Tacky Glue
- Thin Cardboard (like a cereal box)
How to Make a Felt Orange
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine (optional) or scissors.
- To make the orange slices: Fold the oval piece in half and mark the middle with a straight pin. Whip stitch on the slice details using 1 strand of matching floss, spacing them out evenly according to pattern.
- Scatter and attach the seeds with 2 small stitched V’s, using 1 strand of matching tan floss.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.