We can’t get over how cute this DIY craft is! Made to fit our tiny felt fairies and other pocket pals, our felt stump play house features a working front door, cut-out windows, and mushrooms growing on the sides. There’s also a bit of grass growing around the house as well as a small stone path with flowers surrounding it.
Due to the intricate details and different embroidery involved, we would say this is more of an intermediate felt craft. If you’re new to hand-sewing and stitching, you may want to check out some beginner felt projects first. Otherwise scroll on down for our supplies list, template, and tutorial!
Over the hills and fairy away
Our felt stump play house is such a fun way to create a bit of magic for your favorite little ones. For more pretend play ideas, you could also make our felt fairytale finger puppets — or craft your kid some wings of her own!
Skill level: Intermediate
Stitches used: Blanket, whip, straight stitch, detached chain, and french knot. Need some extra guidance? Check out our free embroidery guide.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needles
- Clover Applique Sewing Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Chopstick
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Water Lily, Lavender, Plum, Sweet Pea, Bluebell, Antique, Sand, Camel, Hazelnut, Bark Brown, Juniper, and Kelp
- Embroidery Floss — DMC White Lavender (24), Medium Dark Blue Violet (155), Medium Antique Mauve (316), Very Light Plum (3608), Very Light Pearl Gray (762), Tan (436), Light Brown (434), Avocado Green (469), and Dark Celadon Green (3815)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Tacky Glue
- Art Marker — Karin Red Lilac (358) or similar Blick Studio Brush Markers HoneySuckle (120)
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- Heat N Bond Fusible Interfacing – Extra Firm
How to Make a Felt Stump Play House
- Gather tools and materials.
- Cut out felt according to template using a cutting machine with rotary blade (optional) or scissors. Note that the longer house parts of the template need to be taped together prior to cutting out the felt. Cut out extra firm
interfacing for their corresponding felt pieces according to template (some pieces will need to be mirrored).
- Match up the exterior house piece with the bark brown inner layer. Glue together around the cutouts using a bit of tacky glue.
- Pin on the door frame around the doorway. Blanket stitch around all the edges using 2 strands of matching floss.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.