Slay the trick-or-treating scene with this DIY kids ninja costume! No-sew and simple as can be — perfect for a last minute showstopper. You’ll have so much fun whipping up this ensemble and your little ninjas will love the results! Stay tuned for our ninja accessories tutorial, coming this weekend!
Tools & Materials
- Cutting Machine (for iron-on design)
- Rotary Cutter, Mat, and Ruler (recommended)
- Iron, Ironing Board and Press Cloth
- Sewing Pins
- Red Felt – 1 yard
- Red Cotton Ribbon (optional)
- Cricut Iron-On – Cutting Machine
- Pencil or Fabric Marker
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut out the paper pattern and tape together where indicated. Pin to the felt and trace around it using a pencil or fabric marker.
- Mirror the pattern and trace the other side.
- Cut the tabard out of the felt. Our tabard was the full length of the felt, which was 36”x36”.
- Cut the dragon design out of black and gold foil iron-on using a cutting machine. Weed out the design and iron onto the front of the tabard, following the product instructions. Iron one color layer at a time. You can also trace the design onto the felt and cut it out. You can even paint the design on, if preferred.
- Cut out 1/4” wide strips of gold iron-on for the trim and apply around the head opening (this is where a rotary cutter comes in handy). Apply one side at a time, cutting the strips at an angle when they meet the corners.
- Cut another long strip 1/2” wide and apply to the bottom edge — front and back of the tabard.
- Cut a long strip of felt 3” wide to tie around the waist. Ours was the full length of the felt, 36”. For the arm and leg wraps, you can cut long strips of felt 1” wide or find a cotton ribbon to match the costume.
We want to hear from you! Always feel free to reach out with any questions, comments or concerns. And remember to use #MadeWithLia when sharing photos of your latest work — your creativity never fails to inspire. Happy crafting ~ Lia & Team