Your dog is most likely your best friend. (How could they not be?) So we have created this amazing leather dog collar and leash for our four-legged good-boys. Leather is a great choice for a dog collar because it typically lasts longer. Plus it provides a rustic, weathered look (which you can customize) that really pops when you and your buddy are out for a walk.
When you get home from walking your dog, you can always reward them with a homemade dog treat!
Bow-Wow Your Furry Friend!
Our leather dog collar and leash are super simple to make! All you have to do is gather the tools and materials, then download or follow the instructions below. We will help you craft with confidence so you can give your doggo a collar and leash they deserve!
If you like this leather dog collar and leash project, make sure to check out some of our other crafts for dogs! You can craft a cute dog bandana, a bone-shaped dish mat, and a fun dog toy. We also have a dog bed that’s perfect for dogs that like to burrow.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Click here for more information.
- 2.5mm Leather (Find at your local leather supply store)
- D-ring — 3/4″
- Bolt Snap — 3/4”
- Tongue Buckle — 3/4”
- 8mm Rivets
- Masking Tape
- Acrylic Paint in Summer Linen and Wild Salmon
- Matte Acrylic Finisher
How to Make a Leather Dog Collar & Leash
- If you haven’t already, become a Lia Griffith Annual Member. This gives you access to thousands of SVG downloads!
- Gather tools and materials.
- Cut the leather according to pattern notes using a rotary cutter.
- Punch holes in the leash and collar using a leather punch, follow the pattern notes for placement.
- Place the buckle and D-ring on the collar as shown in the pattern, fold the leather over and line up the holes, place the rivets in holes.
- Use the mallet to hammer the rivet caps into place.
- Place the bolt snap on the leash as shown in the pattern, fold the leather over and line up the holes, place the rivets in the holes.
- Fold the leather over for the handle and line up the holes, then place the rivets.
- Use masking tape to create a pattern where you would like to paint.
- Apply the paint and allow it to dry, then remove the masking tape.
Craft with Our Community!
We are here to help you explore your creativity with daily inspiration, downloadable cut files and printable templates that make your craft life easier. We believe in the power of creativity to nurture the soul and to empower us. Our designs are created with simplicity in mind and we always strive to provide you with the highest quality DIYs. Share what you’ve been up to with the LGM community by using #MadeWithLia — your creativity is our biggest inspiration!
Membership gains you access to our full library of DIY project tutorials complete with pattern downloads and instructions. Head over to our membership page to see a full list of benefits. And be sure to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube. We look forward to making this the most creative year of your life! Happy crafting! ~ Lia and Team