We already happened to have leather scraps lying around the studio, but you should be able to find some at any leather goods store, online or at some fabric stores. Sewing with leather is a totally different experience than sewing with fabric, so we included some of our top tips in the printable instructions! You will need a special leather needle for your sewing machine to make our minimalist leather wallet. We also recommend using a needle threader with your machine – it will make things easier.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Sewing Machine
- Leather Needle for Sewing Machines
- Heavy Duty Top-Stitching Thread (matching, or contrasting)
- Rotary Cutter, Mat & Ruler
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Scotch Tape
- Masking Tape
- Leather (thin; at least 5″ x 10″)
- Gather tools & materials.
- Using Rotary tools, cut leather to 4″ x 8.5″. Use scraps to balance tension as described above, then proceed. (Steps 3-5 are optional decorative top-stitching).
- Use rotary ruler to measure; use masking tape to mark an edge guide at 2.5″ from needle.
- Sew the top-stitch row. Remember to leave long thread tails at the beginning and end. Move the tape edge guide in to 2.25″ and do the second top row as you did the first.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Once you have your materials gathered, you can reference the step-by-step photo tutorial and instructions as you go. Feel free to add your own decorative top stitches! We added the double line of stitches, but you can easily personalize this with your own designs. It’s a great opportunity to explore working with leather more. After you finish your minimalist leather wallet, you can keep it for yourself, or give it as a wonderful gift option for him or her!Instagram using #DIYDreamingWithLia, or head over to our membership page to start downloading. Send us your project suggestions and requests so we can get you in on the creative process! Until next time ~ Lia and the Team