Another adorable project to add to our growing needle-felting collection is this needle-felted mouse. Our tutorial will show you how to make one mouse, but I decided to make two! Designed as animated characters, they are ready for any additions of cute hats, mouse houses, and more.
Ready to begin? Check out our supplies list below, then download our tutorial at the end of the post to start crafting.
To create this needle-felted mouse, I started with the 2cm and 3cm felt balls for the base of the head and the body. It is easy to create an egg shape by wrapping the roving wool around the balls and using the needles to sculpt the wool. You can see the step-by-step tutorial for how I shaped these mice and also use our printable template as a guide.
Crafting tips: I am finding that as I create more needle-felted projects, I love having three wood needle holders, one with each size of the needle. This way, I can move back and forth from the coarse (36g), medium (38g), and fine (40g) needles as I sculpt my project. For easy reference, I have color-coded the holders by painting the ends.
Skill level: Beginner
Other DIY crafts shown: Felt mushrooms and blooming felt strawberry plant.
- Felting Pad
- Needle Felting Needle Holder
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Felting Needles — Pack of 6
- Clover Straight Awl
- Clover Applique Pins
- Ashford Corriedale Wool — Natural White or Natural Light and Blush
- Lia Griffith Felt Balls — 3cm Cotton and 2cm Cotton
- Lia Griffith Needle Felting Craft Eyes — 3mm
- Chenille Stems
How to Make a Needle-Felted Mouse
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the template below.
- Start with a 2cm and 3cm felt ball for the head and body. Add roving felt to shape into eggs.
- Add more wool and needle felt until head and body match template size and shape.
- Place head to body with nose pointing forward, and wrap wool between to form neck. Needle to attach.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love this DIY idea? Browse all of our needle-felting projects. Or take a look through of all of our animal crafts. We’d love to see your needle-felted creations, so make sure to share on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia or post photos to our crafters community page.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
The link to the felt mushrooms doesn’t work. Can it be updated?
Hi there! It is working when we click it. Try this link: https://liagriffith.com/felt-mushrooms/
Is it possible to purchase a kit with everything necessary to make these? They are just darling!
I love that idea. Right now, we don’t have access to break down the packs of everything (eyes, chenille, wool, balls), but will keep that on our list for future kits.
And so much fun to make!!