Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
We love drawing inspiration from anywhere we can, and often that means perusing some of our favorite clothing stores like Anthropologie. We recently saw this stunning brass coin necklace with pretty paint splatters and the creativity started flowing! Our maker Krista played around with color palettes to craft up this gorgeous DIY statement necklace with a celestial feel. And because it is made out of shrink film (can you believe that?!), it is super easy to make for crafters of any age or skill level. If you’ve always wanted to make your own necklace, this statement jewelry piece is a great place to start! Plus, our instructions include a video tutorial for how to use jump rings in any DIY jewelry project.
- Oven or Toaster Oven
- Jewelry Pliers
- Hole Punch
- Shrink Film [Ink Jet Printable]
- Acrylic Paint (navy, light blue, mint, white, metallic gold)
- 16″ Jewelry Chain
- Lobster Claw Clasp
- 5 Jump Rings
- E6000 Glue
- Parchment Paper or Vellum
- Clear Fixative Spray
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template onto shrink film and cut out, or print the template onto copy paper and trace onto shrink film.
- Hole punch the film prior to baking. Be careful not to punch too close to the edge!
- Bake the cut out shrink film according to the package instructions.
- Allow the film to cool after baking.
- Paint the piece evenly, including the sides. Allow to dry between coats.
- Splatter on white and metallic paint by flicking the end of a flat paintbrush for a painterly look. You can also oversaturate the bristle and drip paint on.
- After completely drying, spray with a clear fixative.
- Apply E6000 glue with a toothpick to attach the two smaller circle pieces as shown in the tutorial.
- Attach jump rings, chain and clasp using jewelry pliers.
Follow the photo tutorial below for visual guidance as you craft your own DIY statement necklace.
In the printable instructions below, we have included an illustration of how we laid out our shrink film pieces to make this necklace. But feel free to take this as a light suggestion and make your own arrangement for the pieces! You can find shrink film online – if you get the printable kind, you can print the template directly onto the shrink paper. If not, trace the template and cut from there. Make very sure that you punch the holes before baking! To prevent the pieces from curling when they come out of the oven, place a layer of parchment paper on top, then place a book on the parchment paper to flatten the shrink film below it. Once you start putting the pieces of your DIY statement necklace together, follow our jump ring video tutorial below.
DIY jewelry projects are always a fabulous opportunity to create unique fashion statements that can feel truly personal. For more handmade statement jewelry, browse through all of our DIY jewelry tutorials. Find more jewelry specifically made out of shrink film in our geometric necklace or DIY flower ring. Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily doses of inspiration, or join our creative community by becoming a member. We would love to see the celestial necklaces you are making with this tutorial, so please share your photos with #LiasFridayFeatures for a chance to be featured on our social channels! See you there ~ Lia & Team
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member