A DIY Wreath to Welcome Spring
Plum blossoms grow all across East Asia, and they are seen as a symbol of the changing seasons. They start blooming in late winter and have long been significant part of East Asian art and culture. As our homage to these gorgeous blooms, our first wreath for the approaching season is a plum blossom wreath. The soft pink petals are perfectly paired with our rich green Cypress colored leaves to make a stunning piece of home decor that will last for years to come!
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Wire Cutters
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Crepe Paper [Extra Fine: Blush, Chiffon, Cypress]
- 22 Gauge Floral Wire
- Brown Floral Tape
- Paper Covered Wire
- Magenta Art Marker [Copic Brand: Red Violet]
- 13-inch Grapevine Wreath
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut 2-inch strips of blush crepe paper and lightly brush marker on one edge about 1/3 of the way up. Print the PDF template below and cut the petals with the colored edge at the base of the petals.
- Gently stretch the centers and twist the bottoms of the petals.
- Cut Chiffon crepe according to the template (the rectangular piece) and twist the fringed sections to form stamens.
- Cut 6-inch pieces of floral wire and create a small loop at each end by bending with pliers. Glue the stamens around the ends of the wire.
- Glue 5 petals to each end around the stamens.
- Wrap the flower bases and stem in floral tape.
- Cut a 12-inch piece of paper covered wire and create a flower on one end. This piece is the foundation for the branch.
- Cut leaves according to template. Ruffle leaves by scraping nail along edge and then gently stretch center.
- Twist flower pairs onto branch. Vary stem lengths and stagger for a more natural look.
- Weave branches into your wreath form and twist in place on back to secure.
- Continue adding branches around the wreath.
Follow the photo tutorial below for a visual guide to making our plum blossom wreath!
Before starting a crepe paper project, we always like to recommend that beginners check out our Crepe Paper 101 video, where you can learn our favorite tips and tricks for cutting petals and stretching the paper. Wreath projects are fabulous because they give you lots of freedom to create your own arrangements. To recreate this plum blossom wreath, place the branches so that they radiate out in the same direction with the majority of blooms on the outer edge of the wreath. This will give it that beautiful abundant look that celebrates the spring season. You are welcome to play around with different sizes of wreaths too – you should be able to find a nice selection of grapevine forms at your local craft store.
Spring Into New DIY Projects!
If you are looking for more spring home decor inspiration, find our post on how you can design your own spring wreath, or make yourself a pretty spring serving tray that you can also use for a coffee table display. We will be adding new projects every day, so head over to the membership page to start downloading. We love getting you in on the creative process, so please add your project requests and suggestions in the comments below. Do you love making crepe flowers? Let us know what flowers you’d like to see next and we will do our best to bring them to life. Lots of Love! ~ Lia & Team