It seems that I have a new. . . shall we say obsession, and it is called the peg doll. You may have seen my first peg doll project that I did a live video tutorial for — these adorable DIY worry dolls with a free pattern. And since then I have begun to explore what else I can make! For our June Craft Collection, I am showing you how to make these super cute woodland animal peg dolls.
This vintage craft is made from tiny wooden dolls that you can find in many shapes and sizes. And you can decorate and personalize them with paint, markers, fabric, and felt.
Woodland you be mine?
To make these tiny woodland animal peg dolls, you need a few scraps of felt, some craft paint, and a few of the Bunting Baby shaped peg dolls. I love to collect my parts and pieces from A Child’s Dream, where they offer many shapes and sizes for doll making. These are the smallest I have seen in the peg world and come in a pack of 10. While you are there, also put into your cart a bag of 6mm beads for the bunny tail. Once you gather all of your materials from the list below, grab your magnifying glasses and get ready to fall in love.
When making the woodland animal peg dolls I found that my Cricut Maker with the rotary blade cut the tiny pieces really well. Though the machine defaults to the fine point blade, I have much better luck changing it to the rotary option as it will not pull and misshape the tiny felt pieces. Once the felt is cut, a bit of paint, glue, and a sharpie make these little woodland critters come to life.
Be sure to keep your extra pegs and beads as we will be making more adorable peg dolls through the summer to add to the collection of peg doll gnomes, leprechauns, Halloween characters, and witches. And of course our adorable worry dolls.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Detail Scissors or Cricut Maker
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Ultra Fine Point Sharpie
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Hazelnut, Cream, and Dove
- Wood Peg Dolls (Bunting Baby)
- 24-Gauge White Paper Covered Wire
- 6mm Wood Bead
- Lumiere Paint in Metallic Bronze, Hi-Lite Red, and Metallic Silver
- White Craft Paint
How to Make Woodland Animal Peg Dolls
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the template below.
- Paint the wood pegs and wire mouse tail. Use white paint as an undercoat for the bunny.
- Once the animal peg body is dry, add belly ovals and nose areas with coordinating paint color.
- Cut all your felt pieces with detail scissors or with the rotary blade on a Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!