As part of our Pacific Islands bouquet for Cricut, this crepe paper Bird of Paradise is yet another bold and beautiful ingredient. So far we’ve brought you our crepe paper ginger flowers, crepe paper helicona and crepe paper pincushions, and in addition to these Birds of Paradise, we’ll be showing you how to simply craft tropical greenery in the coming days. By the end of the week, you’ll have a full Pacific Islands bouquet to make your summertime last forever! Take a trip to paradise with these Birds of Paradise today.
Tools & Materials
- Tacky Glue
- Paint Brush
- Wire Cutters
- Floristic crepe paper – Goldenrod, Greenleaf, Midnight Blue
- Floral Wire – green 18 gauge, white 20 gauge
- Floral Tape – green
- Blicks Acrylic Paint – white, red deep
- 1/2” Plastic tubing
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Cut the crepe paper according to the template notes using scissors or a cutting machine.
- Cut eight 6” pieces of wire, then fold each petal in half and glue a wire down the middle, then unfold the petals once the glue has dried.
- Brush white paint onto one side of each petal.
- In this order stack 2 large gold petals, 1 blue petal, and 1 small gold petal, then using a piece of wire, tie them together at the base. Repeat with the remaining petals.
- Take the piece of 18 gauge wire and fold it at a 90 degree angle at its center. Then attach your two groups of petals to the wire by wrapping the excess wire around the 18 gauge wire. The small petals should face the end of the wire.
- Wrap the stuffing around the wire where the petals are attached.
- Fold the green crepe around the stuffng and line up the cut marks with the petals.
- Glue the green crepe together. Add more stuffng if needed before gluing closed.
- Wrap the base of the green crepe with floral tape and down onto the wire.
- Insert the wire into the tubing and cut the tubing to a desired length for the stem.
- Starting at the of the flower, wrap the tubing with floral tape .
- Take the small piece of green crepe and wrap it around the tubing (the tip should be above the bend). Wrap floral tape around the bottom to hold it in place.
- Paint the top of the green lightly with red paint, then add white paint at the base of the flowers and at the point of the green over the red paint.
For more crepe paper flower fun, click here!
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, and become a Lia Griffith member today! Don’t forget to use #LoveLia when sharing photos of your projects — your creativity is our biggest inspiration. Lots of love ~ Lia & Team