If you’re looking for a unique tropical flower to make, our crepe paper pincushion protea is the perfect craft for you. Made with double-sided crepe paper and paint-dipped floral wires, this flower has tons of texture and will look striking in floral arrangements. Fill it out with some simple crepe paper greenery in a vase or add it to a larger tropical bouquet.
When you’re ready to make this crepe paper flower, check out our supplies list below. And be sure to read our crafting tips!
You’re a Pro
We wanted to use two contrasting colors for this crepe paper pincushion protea, so we made our own double-sided crepe paper! This is simple to do by ironing two sheets of crepe paper together with fusible webbing in the middle. However, if you’d like a more detailed breakdown of this crafting technique, you can check out our 10-minute mini course on making double-sided crepe paper.
Once your crepe paper is ready and your pieces are cut, our tutorial will show you how to cut and roll your fringe to get the curly center. You’ll also learn some more advanced flower-making techniques, like attaching the wires around the stamen. We’d love to see your version of this crepe paper pincushion protea, so be sure to share a photo in our crafter’s community or on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia.
Skill level: Advanced due to all the small cuts and details. It can also take some practice to get the hang of attaching the wire around the flower.
Crafting tips: Use an old piece of floral foam to push the wire stigma into while the paint dries; this will also help you keep the wire lengths sorted. Once the flower is assembled, using the needle-nose pliers or tweezers to arrange the wire stigmas works better than your fingers.
Other projects shown: Lily grass from our filler greenery
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Kai 8″ Scissors
- Kai 5″ Detail Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (recommended)
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Cricut EasyPress or Iron
- Fringe Clip
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Fern, Camellia, Honeysuckle, and Mango
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper — Ferns & Moss
- Lia Griffith Fusible Web
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- Floral Wire – 24-Gauge Paper Covered White
- Americana Paint — Berry Cobbler
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
How to Make a Crepe Paper Pincushion Protea
- Gather your tools and materials. Then download the zip file below.
- Place a piece of fusible webbing between a sheet of fern and a sheet of camellia crepe paper, then iron it together to make double-sided crepe paper. For more tips on this technique, click here to watch our video tutorial.
- Cut out the crepe paper according to the template using scissors or a cutting machine with rotary blade.
- Wrap 13 pieces of white 24 gauge wire with the stigma cover strip of crepe paper. Use white glue while wrapping to hold.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
Please explain to me how I find the folder
There is no tutorial in the download
At the end of the post, right above the comments, there is a download button. This will give you a zipped folder. Double-click to unzip, and inside the folder, you will find the PDF template, SVG cut file, and the PDF tutorial. I just did these steps to confirm, so you should be good to go!
I cannot find the tutorial.
Everything is in one folder now so you only need to download the one.