If you’re looking for a unique tropical flower to make, our crepe paper pincushion protea is the perfect craft for you. Made with double-sided crepe paper and paint-dipped floral wires, this flower has tons of texture and will look striking in floral arrangements. Fill it out with some simple crepe paper greenery in a vase or add it to a larger tropical bouquet.
When you’re ready to make this crepe paper flower, check out our supplies list below. And be sure to read our crafting tips!
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
You’re a Pro
We wanted to use two contrasting colors for this crepe paper pincushion protea, so we made our own double-sided crepe paper! This is simple to do by ironing two sheets of crepe paper together with fusible webbing in the middle. However, if you’d like a more detailed breakdown of this crafting technique, you can check out our 10-minute mini course on making double-sided crepe paper.
Once your crepe paper is ready and your pieces are cut, our tutorial will show you how to cut and roll your fringe to get the curly center. You’ll also learn some more advanced flower-making techniques, like attaching the wires around the stamen. We’d love to see your version of this crepe paper pincushion protea, so be sure to share a photo in our crafter’s community or on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia.
Skill level: Advanced due to all the small cuts and details. It can also take some practice to get the hang of attaching the wire around the flower.
Crafting tips: Use an old piece of floral foam to push the wire stigma into while the paint dries; this will also help you keep the wire lengths sorted. Once the flower is assembled, using the needle-nose pliers or tweezers to arrange the wire stigmas works better than your fingers.
Other projects shown: Lily grass from our filler greenery
How to Make a Crepe Paper Pincushion Protea
- Gather your tools and materials. Then download the zip file below.
- Place a piece of fusible webbing between a sheet of fern and a sheet of camellia crepe paper, then iron it together to make double-sided crepe paper. For more tips on this technique, click here to watch our video tutorial.
- Cut out the crepe paper according to the template using scissors or a cutting machine with rotary blade.
- Wrap 13 pieces of white 24 gauge wire with the stigma cover strip of crepe paper. Use white glue while wrapping to hold.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Kai 8″ Scissors
- Kai 5″ Detail Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (recommended)
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Cricut EasyPress or Iron
- Fringe Clip
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Fern, Camellia, Honeysuckle, and Mango
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper — Ferns & Moss
- Lia Griffith Fusible Web
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- Floral Wire – 24-Gauge Paper Covered White
- Americana Paint — Berry Cobbler
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member