A few weekends ago I was fiddling around with some crepe to add flowers to our crepe paper ruffle cake that our maker Jessica created. These jumbo paper peonies were born! Peonies are a really popular wedding flower, so they were a perfect match for the cake decor. And if you are going to be making your own flowers out of paper, why not make them larger than life for your very special day?
Tools & Materials
- Pinking Shears
- Low Temperature Hot Glue Gun
- Crepe Paper [Double Sided: Blush + Chiffon, Peach + Petal, Green Tea + Cypress]
- 1″ Foam Balls
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template at the bottom of the post and cut your crepe according to the pattern.
- Wrap the circular piece of crepe around the foam ball. Cut one edge of each rectangular piece with pinking shears, then fringe along the pinked edge.
- Glue the three fringed pieces around the foam ball so that they taper upward, covering half of the ball (see photo tutorial).
- Ruffle the fringe to make it look more natural.
- Gently stretch the centers of the small petals and glue them around the foam ball.
- Continue by adding the larger petals around the smaller petals.
- Glue all the petals to complete the bloom.
- Glue two halves of the leaf together.
- Attach the leaves to the back of the bloom.
Follow the photo tutorial below for a visual guide to making these jumbo paper peonies.
Scroll below to Shop this Project to find the crepe paper that I used for these gorgeous blooms. I chose a soft color palette for my peonies, but you can easily choose a bolder pink if that is a better fit for your color palette. Just make sure that you are using the double sided rather than the extra fine – the extra fine will be too flimsy for the oversized petals. Feel free to build out the petals as much as you would like as you are making. Once you are finished you can use these peonies for wedding or bridal shower decor. Add some floral wire to turn them into DIY centerpieces!
To make regular sized peonies, find our peony tutorial here. Browse through all of our paper wedding flowers for more inspiration, or join our creative community to start handcrafting your life with us. You may just surprise yourself with some of the gorgeous projects you can make! Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily glimpses into what we’re up to, and always feel free to share your project photos with us by tagging @liagriffith and #liagriffith on your posts. We can’t wait to see what inspires you!! ~ Lia & Team