We’ve been having so much fun thinking of how to use the new felt balls in our shop for different craft projects. Last month we made these felt ball pumpkins and felt ball spiders. But now we need something for the holiday season! These felt ball bird ornaments are easy to assemble and will look so darling on your Christmas tree.
Just gather your craft supplies from our list below. Then follow our step-by-step tutorial to craft your own unique versions!
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
We’re Having a Christmas Ball
Our felt ball bird ornaments combine roving wool for the head and wool-blend felt for the wings and tail. You can choose any color combination for your birds and easily make a whole flock for your tree. If you don’t have a Christmas tree, you could easily hang them up from our pine branches or some other type of faux branch.
For the final touch, we used cinnamon sticks for our birds to hang out on. Not only does this make a cute, little perch for them to “sit” on, but it also adds a nice smell to your tree!
How to Make Felt Ball Bird Ornaments
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download our template below.
- Cut tails and wings from wool blend felt according to template.
- Pull some short pieces of wool from the wool bundle.
- Start with point on forehead of bird and use needle to add color to head of bird.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Detail Scissors
- Cutting Machine (optional)
- Felting Pad
- Needle Felting Needle Holder
- Felting Needles — Pack of 6 (use 40g)
- Needle Felting Finger Protectors (optional)
- Embroidery Needles
- Embroidery Threader
- Sewing Clips (optional)
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith Felt Balls 4cm — Cotton, Mushroom, and Marble
- Ashford Corriedale Wool — Natural Medium, Aubergine, and Green Tea
- Lia Griffith Wool Blend Felt — Mustard, Oyster, Evergreen, and Merlot
- Craft Eyes for Needle Felting — 4mm
- DMC Embroidery Floss — 3852 Very Dark Straw
- Art Glitter Glue
- Cinnamon Sticks
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member