Poppies are such a pretty flower. And they’re very easy to make! We have crafted many paper poppies over the years and just recently started to explore making them out of felt. You may have seen our felt red poppies that Krista designed back in May. A lot of you loved the felt version of this flower, so we have another new one for you today! These felt California poppies are perfect for beginners and will look so sweet and cheerful on an end table or office desk.
They are also a great way to bring a little burst of vibrant color into your home or office. Craft them with your Cricut Maker and our flower SVG. Or cut your felt pieces by hand with our flower pattern. It will be simple either way!
Enjoy Some California Sunshine
The California poppy is also known as golden poppy, cup of gold, and California sunlight. So by crafting these felt California poppies, you can add a little ray of sunshine into your day! Or maybe someone else’s day? All you need are a few blooms for a bouquet, but of course you can make as many as you want.
You can also choose whatever colors of felt you like best. We wanted our felt California poppies to look like sunshine, so we chose golden yellow and tangerine orange. Mixing a couple of different shades can make your flower arrangements look a little more unique and gives you some more room for creativity.
If you want a paper version of this poppy, here’s our crepe paper poppy. You can also see how we used this flower to create a wild floral bouquet. Whatever you decide to craft, share it with us and other crafters by tagging #MadeWithLia when you post pictures on Instagram or Facebook!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Wool Blend Felt — Benzie Golden, Tangerine, and Moss
- Art Markers — Blick Studio Brush Marker in Peach (064)
- Green Paper-Covered Floral Wire — 18-Gauge
- Fabric Stiffener —Aleene’s Stiffen-Quick Spray
How to Make Felt California Poppies
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download our flower pattern at the end of the post.
- Cut out your felt pieces according to the pattern, using a Cricut Maker or scissors.
- Color the petals (for poppies using the “golden” color of felt) using a peach or light orange art marker, blending from the bottom up, on one side. Press out any excess ink onto a scrap piece of paper.
- Accordion fold a petal lengthwise and pinch to create ridges on the top edge.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
For more DIY ideas and inspiration, join us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. Or browse our YouTube channel for video tutorials on making flowers, home decor, and more. Have questions? Reach out anytime!