Do you love the idea of hanging up handmade stockings for Christmas? If so, we’re here to help you create the magical Christmas morning scene you’ve always wanted! Today’s felt Christmas stockings are a good sewing project for beginners. So as long as you have basic sewing skills, you can make this project following our step-by-step tutorial.
Of course if you have any questions, just comment below — we are always happy to help!
These pretty stockings are designed by Krista, who also made these beautiful felt monogram ornaments and dove tree topper. If you like the look of Scandinavian Christmas decor, then these projects will be perfect for you. They are also great crafts for flower lovers!
When you are ready to craft your felt Christmas stockings, just download our template and tutorial below. We would love to know what you think of this project, so comment below or share pictures with us and tag #MadeWithLia! Side note — if you have a little one who wants to craft with you, our yarn art crafts would be a good one for them to work on while you are sewing these stockings.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Chopstick or Finger Presser
- Sewing Machine
- Iron, Ironing Board, and Press Cloth
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Vanilla, Merlot, Plum, Blush, Evergreen, and Eucalyptus
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Snow White (B5200), Very Dark Antique Mauve (3802), Medium Antique Mauve (316), Gold (5282), Very Dark Blue Green (500), Blue Green (502), and Dark Antique Blue (930)
- Matching Sewing Thread
- Fusible Interfacing — Heat’n Bond Iron-on Medium
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- Clear Tape
How to Make Felt Christmas Stockings
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Print out the pattern for the stocking, cut it out, and tape together where indicated. The solid lines are the cut lines, and the dashed lines are the seam line. You will need 2x – 12″x16″ pieces of felt for the stocking and 1x for the cuff.
- Cut out felt according to the pattern using your scissors or cutting machine.
- Arrange the felt details for the flower according to the pattern. Hold them in place with a very small amount of tacky glue, if needed. Start with the straight stitches that will hold the felt pieces in place (see embroidery guide in PDF pattern). Use a disappearing ink pen to draw on the lines and guide your stitching.
- Sew the french knots and straight stitches that come out from under the flower.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Explore More Holiday Fun
Browse our sewing projects for more ideas. Or check out all of our Christmas crafts. For daily DIY inspiration, follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, or Facebook. And be sure to check out our YouTube channel for video tutorials!