Have kiddos who like to play with their food? Or help out in the kitchen? Felt food is a great way to encourage young chefs in the making. Plus it inspires independent and creative play. We love coming up with felt food play ideas so your kids can grow their own veggie garden, open up a restaurant, or start an ice cream shop. Our designer Krista is an expert at designing adorable felt food playsets for kids, and she’s back at it today with these cute felt donuts.
The good news is that you don’t have to be an expert to craft these felt donuts yourself! We will walk you through how to make them step by step. Along with the pattern for these donuts, we’ve also included a template for the donut box below.
With National Doughnut Day coming up soon on June 7, it’s the perfect time to craft some delicious-looking donuts. This project includes four patterns so you can make four different felt donuts. Download the printable PDF if you’re cutting by hand. Or use our SVG file if you’re cutting your felt pieces with a Cricut Maker.
Another cute idea that works well with this craft is our felt cafe playset. Then your kids can serve up some felt coffee and cocoa drinks to go along with their felt donuts. Yum!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Wooden Skewer or Chopstick
- Wool Blend Felt — Benzie Design Peony, White, Toast, Nutmeg, Brown, and Ecru
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Tan (437), Light Brown (434), White (B5200), Medium Melon (3706), Deep Canary (972), Medium Lavender Blue (3839), Ultra Light Dusty Rose (963), and Light Seagreen (964)
- 12″x12″ Cardstock Paper — Martha Stewart Carnation (Note: This paper isn’t available online; a similar paper you could use is this pastel pink)
- Text Weight Paper — Recollections Light Pink Stripes
- Glue Dot Roller or Glue Stick
How to Make Felt Donuts
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the donut pattern and donut box template at the end of this post.
- Cut out felt pieces according to the pattern, using scissors or a Cricut Maker.
- Sew sprinkles onto the frosting, using short straight stitches in various colors of embroidery floss.
- Combine straight stitch sprinkles with french knots for another donut. This one has sprinkles on one side for a dipped look.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!