Our felt dragon and unicorn have been so popular that Krista wanted to create more mythological creatures. So for this month’s collection, we have a felt griffin for you! If you have any requests, just let us know as we love to design felt animals that you want to make.
This felt craft is perfect for those of you who have made some of our felt animal stuffies before and are ready for something a bit more challenging. If you’re looking for something simpler, you may want to start with a different project instead, like our felt wolf.
The Legendary Lia Griffin
Say hello to our new stuffie, Lia Griffin! 🙂 Fun fact: Lia actually does get called Lia Griffin (or Lisa Griffin!) fairly often. As a result, we couldn’t resist naming our latest animal stuffie after her.
If you’re not familiar with folklore, the griffin is an eagle-headed lion — a legendary creature known across many cultures from the Mediterranean to Asia. Since then, they’ve become a popular beast in fantasy adventure-themed media. As the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle was the king of the birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature.
We can’t wait to see your version of this felt griffin, so be sure to share photos on our Facebook page for members or with the hashtag #MadeWithLia on Instagram.
Skill level: Intermediate, due to all the layered pieces and time to construct it. If you’re a beginner, you may want to take our mini course, 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie.
Embroidery stitches used: Blanket, double running stitch, chain stitch, backstitch, ladder, and whip stitches. Need more guidance on these stitches? Check out our free embroidery guide.
Crafting tip: We recommend using a disappearing ink pen or using a product like Sulky Stick N Stitch for the embroidery on the wings.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needles
- Clover Applique Sewing Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Chopstick
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Doe Brown, Hazelnut, Cream, and Charcoal
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Medium Mocha Beige (3863), Light Brown (434), Ecru, Very Light Ash Gray (535), and Black (310)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Craft Eyes – 6mm
- Tacky Glue
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
- 6in. Chenille Stems
- Sulky Stick N Stitch (optional)
How to Make a Felt Griffin
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the template below.
- Cut out felt according to template using a cutting machine with a rotary blade (optional) or scissors
- Whip stitch the feet, head, and beak felt details using 1 strand of floss to match the top layer of felt color. Make sure to mirror one of the side body and inner leg pieces from the other side. Note: the PDF template includes a page that will help with matching up all the parts correctly. Place the cut felt onto the template and match up the edges where outlined. Apply a few dots of tacky glue to hold them together until you are ready to sew.
- Whip stitch on the cream colored chest detail the same way, using 1 strand of matching floss.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love this felt griffin? Complete the set of mythological creatures with our felt unicorn, pegasus, and dragon patterns. Or head back to our May collection to see the other magical creations you can make.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.