This month’s craft collection includes this adorable felt horse stuffie with a multi-colored mane. Inspired by the wild horses of the west, Krista based this stuffie on an American paint breed with a large spotty appearance. If you’d like, you can leave the spot out and make a solid-colored horse instead.
Check out our supplies list below, then download the template and tutorial at the end of the post to start crafting!
Our felt horse follows a similar construction to our unicorn and pegasus patterns. So if you’ve made these two felt animal stuffies before, you should be able to easily craft this one as well. Using our pattern, you can also make a whole stable filled with felt horses in different colors.
We’d love to see your version of our felt horse stuffie, so be sure to share photos over in our community page for crafters! You can also share photos on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia.
Skill level: Intermediate
Embroidery stitches used: Blanket, whip, and detached chain stitch. Need more guidance on these stitches? Check out our free embroidery guide.
Crafting tip: If you’re new to making felt animals, check out our mini-course: 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie. This will be an especially good place to start before moving on to a more intermediate stuffie, like this felt horse.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needles
- Clover Applique Sewing Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Chopstick
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Hazelnut and Cream
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Brown (434), ECRU(2 skeins), and Black (310)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Craft Eyes – 6mm
- Tacky Glue (optional)
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
How to Make a Felt Horse
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to template using a cutting machine with a rotary blade (optional) or scissors.
- Whip stitch the corresponding cream felt details onto the body pieces using 1 strand of matching Ecru floss. Use the PDF template as a guide for placement. You can use a few dots of tacky glue or small straight pins to hold in place.
- Whip stitch the corresponding cream felt details onto the inner leg pieces using 1 strand of matching Ecru floss.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Making this felt horse for a little one? Check out our felt stick horse — perfect for creative play! You can also browse all of our felt animal stuffies for more ideas.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
This is too perfect for my Native American unit for my daughter. I think it would go perfectly with an American Bison in felt. Thank you tor all the patterns and the wonderful work you all do.
Love the idea of a bison. I know we are making a deer for September.