This month’s craft collection includes this adorable felt horse stuffie with a multi-colored mane. Inspired by the wild horses of the west, Krista based this stuffie on an American paint breed with a large spotty appearance. If you’d like, you can leave the spot out and make a solid-colored horse instead.
Check out our supplies list in right hand side of this post, then download the template and tutorial to start crafting!
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Our felt horse follows a similar construction to our unicorn and pegasus patterns. So if you’ve made these two felt animal stuffies before, you should be able to easily craft this one as well. Using our pattern, you can also make a whole stable filled with felt horses in different colors.
We’d love to see your version of our felt horse stuffie, so be sure to share photos over in our community page for crafters! You can also share photos on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia.
Skill level: Intermediate
Embroidery stitches used: Blanket, whip, and detached chain stitch. Need more guidance on these stitches? Check out our free embroidery guide.
Crafting tip: If you’re new to making felt animals, check out our mini-course: 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie. This will be an especially good place to start before moving on to a more intermediate stuffie, like this felt horse.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
How to Make a Felt Horse
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern in the right hand side at the top of this post.
- Cut out felt according to template using a cutting machine with a rotary blade (optional) or scissors.
- Whip stitch the corresponding cream felt details onto the body pieces using 1 strand of matching Ecru floss. Use the PDF template as a guide for placement. You can use a few dots of tacky glue or small straight pins to hold in place.
- Whip stitch the corresponding cream felt details onto the inner leg pieces using 1 strand of matching Ecru floss.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needles
- Clover Applique Sewing Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Chopstick
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Hazelnut and Cream
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Brown (434), ECRU(2 skeins), and Black (310)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Craft Eyes – 6mm
- Tacky Glue (optional)
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member