We can’t let May go by without making a monstera leaf! Over the years we have shown you how to create this popular tropical leaf using different craft materials and transform it into some gorgeous home decor. So for this month’s collection, we are making it the focal point again with this framed crepe paper monstera leaf.
Check out our supplies list below to get started. And make sure to read our crafting tip to see how else you can use this monstera leaf for your DIY projects.
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Be-leaf in your artistic skills
In the past we have used everything from frosted paper to embroidery floss to copper wire for our monstera leaf artwork. And one time we even painted our own leaves! Now that we carry foam squares in our shop, we’ve been eager to use them — and they work perfectly for displaying our crepe paper monstera leaf within a frame.
For a fun, creative twist, we added a bright pop of pink to our framed crepe paper monstera leaf by spray painting the mat board and placing a darker shade of pink cardstock in the center. The vibrant colors make it feel more tropical, but you can also keep the background of your artwork more neutral. Or there is always the option to experiment with different colors!
We’d love to see what you do with this DIY craft, so be sure to share a photo in our crafter’s community. Or use the hashtag #MadeWithLia on Instagram.
Skill level: Beginner
Crafting tip: Allow the Mod Podge to dry completely before applying it to the other side. You can also make multiple leaves with longer stems if you prefer to add them to a vase or larger arrangement instead of creating the framed artwork.
Other projects shown: Paper string of pearls plant
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
How to Make a Framed Crepe Paper Monstera Leaf
- Gather your tools & materials. Then download our template listed on the right hand side at the top of this post.
- Cut out crepe paper according to template using scissors or a cutting machine with a rotary blade.
- Glue two leaf halves together over an 18-gauge floral wire.
- Using white glue, attach green bind wire to one side of the leaf. Arrange the wires to look like veining.
Full tutorial available for members to download listed on the right hand side at the top of this post.
- Kai 8″ Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper — Ferns & Moss
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper – Juniper
- Floral Wire – 18-Gauge Paper Covered Green
- Bind Wire – Green
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue or Art Glitter Glue
- Mod Podge – Matte
- Foam Squares — .25″x.25″
- Ikea Hovsta Frame in Birch — 12.25″x16.25″
- Spray paint (optional)
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member