Ready for our June Member Make? In honor of National Rose Month, I’m going live today at 11 a.m. PT to show you how to make crepe paper heirloom roses! If you want to attend this craft workshop, make sure to join our crafting community.
All of the tools and materials you need for this paper rose are listed below. We will also post the video here later today so you can watch it back anytime.
How to Make a David Austin Rose
Since I have made a few different paper roses over the years, I decided for this month’s Member Make that we should craft something by one of the great rosarians of the world. And yes, I’m talking about the renowned David Austin! Starting in the 1950s, David Austin made it his life mission to create a more beautiful rose—with the characteristics of an old garden rose (also known as an heirloom rose). He spent 60 years breeding roses that are now famous across the world. And it was just last December that he passed away.
So in honor of David Austin and National Rose Month, we will be making these crepe paper heirloom roses today. There are many types of David Austin roses, and this one is called the Scarborough Fair rose. It is known for its perfectly cupped pink petals and golden yellow stamens. Aren’t they so gorgeous?
If you haven’t participated in one of our Member Make challenges before, make sure to read the how-to join section below. You can cut your crepe paper heirloom roses by hand or use your cutting machine. And if you prep everything ahead of time, you can craft along with me during our live workshop.
Can’t wait to see you there! ~ Lia
How to Join Our June Member Make Challenge
- Become a member. And make sure to join our Facebook page for members!
- Gather the craft tools and materials you need for these crepe paper heirloom roses—listed below. Then download our flower pattern at the end of this post. Those of you using a Cricut Maker to craft your paper rose can use the flower SVG file.
- Tune in today at 11:00 a.m. PST to craft with me live. You can find the link to the YouTube Live tutorial on the Facebook page for members and in your email. It will also be available for playback here.
- Watch our flower video tutorial to craft along with me and create your own version of this paper rose. You can use different colors of paper, materials, or techniques; make just one bloom or a whole bouquet; use them in another craft project; and so on.
- Reach out to me and others in our crafting community if you need some support! You can post progress pictures or ask questions on our Facebook page for members. And make sure to use the hashtag #MemberMake so it’s easy to find.
- Share your finished crepe paper heirloom roses with us by the end of the month to be entered in our giveaway. Make sure to post your pictures on our Facebook page for members or on your Instagram page with the hashtag #MemberMake. And feel free to say something about your flower-making experience!
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper — Secret Garden: Blush
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper — Enchanted Garden: Juniper, Mango
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- 24-Gauge Green Paper Covered Wire
- Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
- 8mm Beads
- Medium Cotton Spun Paper Balls
- Large Cotton Spun Paper Balls
- PanPastel Lia Griffith Designer Set