Back to school is in full swing and this time of year is a great opportunity for some DIY fun! These felt pencil toppers are a great way to get kids excited for back to school. And they are a simple enough craft project for kids to help with too.
To help you make these cute school supplies, we have templates for you to cut out and some easy instructions to follow.
Crafts with a point
Depending on your child’s age, you may want to cut the shapes out for them first before they help assemble their felt pencil toppers. And although you can use our photos as a guide, I encourage you to mix and match the felt shapes to create your own monsters too!
If you’d like, you can also pair these felt pencil toppers with our shrinky dink name tags, kids’ pencil pouches, and kids’ backpacks.
Skill level: Beginner
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cutting Machine (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun or Craft Glue
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Cherry, Peacock, Mustard, Dove, Blush, White, and Black
- Embroidery Floss – DMC Black 310
- #2 Pencils
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download our template below. Note: You’ll find cutting details on the template.
- Once you print the template, cut out each piece to use as a guide for cutting your felt pieces.
- Use glue to attach the pieces together to make the felt monster and cat faces. Note: You can use the illustrations on the template as a guide for where to glue your pieces.
- Next, use black embroidery floss and a needle to stitch the whiskers of the kitties and the mouths of the monsters. If you would rather not use a needle, you can draw in the mouths and whiskers with a fine point permanent marker.
- After the front and back pieces for each topper is ready, place them around your pencil and glue the front and back together to form the full felt pencil topper.
If you are interested in more designs, check out our these cute pencil toppers, which include templates for bears, bunnies, and apples. You can also find more school supplies here.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
Will you be planning to update your felt crafts to all include SVG options in the future? I have a Cricut Maker and would love to see that option so I can make the most use out of it. Thank you so much!
Hi Jenny! We’re adding SVG files to projects as they’re requested, so we’ll add this one to the list 🙂
[…] Kitty Pencil Toppers from Lia Griffith […]
Do you sew the two backs together except for the two openings? Do you glue down the other pieces of the felt after they are sewed together?
Aside from the stitched faces, we only used glue for these toppers. The PDF shows where to leave openings for the pencils. I suggest gluing the faces together first before gluing the back piece on, in case the glue soaks through the felt.
[…] Inspirez la crainte dans vos bureaux avec de mignons petits monstres réalisés en feutrine : impossible de faire un choix…ils sont tous aussi craquants les uns que les autres. Source: Liagriffith […]