Sometimes, really simple crafts can make such beautiful holiday décor. Take these paper canal houses, for instance! They’re easy to make, yet they look so elegant on my mantel with just a few LED lights and some fresh greenery. If you like decorating your home with paper houses for the holidays, you might also like our 3D paper Christmas village and our paper house ornament.
Christmas Canal Houses
A lot of our DIY projects are inspired by nature, our travels, and what surrounds us. Today it’s the canal houses of Amsterdam that inspired us to make these paper versions. To make them look like the real thing, we designed these houses to be slimmer and taller compared to some of the other paper houses we’ve made.
Since there are a lot of small windows and little details on these paper canal houses, we recommend using a cutting machine. This will speed up the DIY process and make it much simpler too. However, you can cut these by hand using our PDF template below and a craft knife.
After you assemble your paper canal houses, we think they’d look pretty with some LED candles inside of them or a string of fairy lights. This plus the vellum sheets will give them that warm holiday glow! We’d love to see how you use these houses as Christmas decorations, so make sure to use the hashtag #MadeWithLia if you make your own version.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cutting Machine (recommended)
- Craft Knife, Ruler, and Cutting Mat (if cutting by hand)
- Scoring Tool
How to Make a Paper Canal House Luminary
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern at the end of this post.
- Cut out your paper canal house and vellum window pieces according to your SVG file or template. Note: The houses in the PDF template are slightly smaller so they fit onto 8.5″x11″ cardstock when printed.
- Use a scoring tool to score along the dotted lines. Then fold your paper along the score lines.
- Glue the vellum piece to the inside of the house windows.
Full tutorial available for members only. Join here!
Join Us for More Holiday Fun
As we get closer to Christmas, we’ll be posting new projects and old favorites on our social channels. You can follow us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest for daily DIY inspiration. Or browse our video tutorials on our YouTube channel.
To download this project and other seasonal crafts, become a member! Already a member? Gift one to your crafting buddy!