This potato and green bean salad recipe is a gorgeous twist on a classic summer favorite. Baby red potatoes are in season right now and you’ll find fresh beans at their best this time of year. The mustard, sautéed shallots and garlic add a lot of flavor to the salad and the pecans are a great source of protein and unsaturated fats – perfect for summer snacking. I love this salad so much, I’ve made it three times in the past month. It is seriously yummy, filling and is just as great eaten alone as it is served with grilled steak, chicken or fish. Another great thing about this salad is that you can make the dressing one day ahead, cover and chill, then simply re-whisk it when you are ready to serve. My top tip for this recipe would be to slightly under cook the beans to keep their flavor and crispness. Use quality sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and your salad will be just perfect.
If you are looking for more summer food recipes check out our divine cauliflower crust pizza recipe, our yummy tomato and orange dipping sauce or our refreshing herb infused popsicles. Happy Friday and happy summer dining! ~ Lia
- 2 lbs new potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 lb green beans or haricot verts, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pecan or walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces semi-firm sheep's-milk cheese (such as pecorino fresco)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Remove from heat and cool. Gently steam green beans until they are done but not soft. Remove lid and cool.
- In small bowl whisk Dijon mustard, white wine vinegar and olive oil and set aside.
- Saute shallots in a bit of olive oil until tender and add garlic to pan. Saute until both begin to turn golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside to cool. Add chopped nuts into same pan and gently toast.
- When all ingredients are cool, slice potatoes into halves or quarters and cut beans into 2-3 inch pieces. Place both in large bowl. Mix in shallots, garlic, pecans and dressing. Add parsley, cheese and salt and pepper. Mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled.