We Heart Topiaries
If you are looking for a way to bring a handmade touch to your wedding day, this heart shaped topiary project may be exactly what you need! The project is easy and simple, although cutting the leaves can be time consuming. The result is a beautiful centerpiece that will last for years to come!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Craft Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper – Green Tea & Cypress + Ferns & Moss
- Flat Copper Wire
- Foam Sheets or Balls
- Dried Moss
- Terra Cotta Pots
How to Make a Heart Shaped Topiary
- Gather the tools and materials listed above.
- Print the PDF template below and cut your crepe leaves according to the pattern, or use our SVG files if using a cutting machine with rotary blade.
- Bend the copper wire into a heart shape.
- Slightly stretch the leaves to make them more cup-like, then use hot glue to attach the leaves directly to the wire.
- Place a piece of foam into your pot, cover it with dried moss, then secure the wire heart into the foam.
There is a variety of materials that you could use to create the heart shaped base for this topiary, but we decided to use flat copper wire for a little metallic to shine through. Otherwise, paper covered floral wire or other metallic wires are great options. Don’t worry too much about bending the wire perfectly – you will easily be able to cover up any imperfections once you start adding the crepe. Because you are bending your own wreath form, you can make it as large or as small as you would like. The same goes for your terra cotta pot. Just make sure the sizes of the heart and the pot or vase look balanced! While you are bending, it can be helpful to hold it against a flat surface to make sure the shape is even.
The technique for making these topiaries is similar to our Potted Plant Series, so feel free to look at those projects for inspiration. When you finish crafting your heart shaped topiary, you can tie a pretty ribbon around your pot for some extra color. Beautiful! Display it as a DIY centerpiece in your home, or make an entire set as DIY wedding decorations.
For more heart shaped inspiration, be sure to check out our heart shaped wreath with crepe paper cosmos. Find all of our copper wire projects to see all the amazing things that you can create with the material, or head over to our membership page to start downloading. We love including you in our creative process, so please feel free to share your ideas, requests and suggestions for future projects in the comments below! Our reader-inspired projects sometimes turning out to be our favorites 🙂 Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily doses of inspiration, or share your project photos with us using #DIYDreamingWithLia on Instagram. Cheers! ~ Lia & Team