For our last project of the year, we bring you these crepe paper kumquat branches. These beautiful fruits are in season during November–April, depending on the variety. So now is the perfect time to craft these kumquats out of paper and enjoy their vibrant color in your home for several months.
However, they’re more than just a pretty fruit! The kumquat is a symbol of good luck and prosperity in Asian countries. They are also used as houseplants and are often given as gifts during the Lunar New Year.
Keen on Kumquats
Since January in Portland is prime time for citrus fruit—you might also enjoy making our crepe paper orange blossom branch and our crepe paper lemons. The bright colors of oranges, lemons, and limes are such a welcome sight during our cold and rainy months. Even if it’s not cold and grey where you live, these crepe paper kumquat branches make such beautiful home décor!
When you’re done crafting these branches, you can put them in a vase or use them as table décor. The bright orange will really pop against a neutral background, but they’d also look great in a room with darker walls. We’ve seen kumquats pop up in wedding décor, too, so that’s always another idea for what you can do with this DIY project.
If you craft these crepe paper kumquat branches or any other seasonal fruit, we’d love to see how you decorate with them! You can always share your pictures with us by emailing them to us at email@example.com, posting them to our Facebook Member Make page, or posting them on your Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLia. Happy crafting! ~Lia and team
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Lia Griffith Extra Fine Crepe Paper: Enchanted Garden Collection – Mango
- Lia Griffith Double Sided Crepe Paper – Ferns + Moss
- Green Paper Covered Floral Wire – 24-Gauge
- Green Paper Covered Thick Stem Wire – 18-Gauge
- Lia Griffith Floral Tape – Bark
- Large Cotton Spun Balls – Large
- Tacky Glue
- Mod Podge
How to Make Crepe Paper Kumquats
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the pattern at the end of this post.
- Cut crepe paper according to template notes, using your cutting machine (recommended) or scissors.
- Cut your 24-gauge floral wire into 3-inch pieces. (This left us with five pieces.)
- Use tacky glue to glue the wire between two leaf halves.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
What Else Could You Make?
If you want to explore more blooming branch projects for winter and spring, take a look at our crepe cherry blossoms, dogwood branches, or tissue paper blooming branches. For more DIY ideas, follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, or YouTube. And if you want to see certain projects or video tutorials, let us know! Give us your project suggestions below, or head over to our membership page to start crafting with us.