This month’s DIY animal stuffie is an adorable felt deer that Krista designed. Using our pattern below, you can make both a female deer and a male deer — just add antlers! Along with the antlers, Krista also used slightly different felt colors and added satin stitched spots to the female deer to create some more variation between them.
Similar to our other standing animals, this felt deer is an intermediate project. If you’re a beginner, make sure to check out our course on how to create any stuffie!
Oh Dear Me
Our felt deer would look super cute on a woodland-themed shelf or mantel. Or you can always craft it as a toy for kids. You can also make them some other forest friends, like our felt bear, fox, moose, and wolf.
Skill level: Intermediate. If you’re a beginner, check out our course: 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie.
Crafting tip: Using our metal stuffing tool (or something like it) will help get fluff down the skinny deer legs.
Embroidery stitches used: Blanket, whip, and satin stitch. Need more guidance on these stitches? Check out our free embroidery guide.
Other DIY crafts shown: Paper string of pearls plant
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Embroidery Needles
- Clover Applique Sewing Pins
- Stuffing Tool or Chopstick
- Needle Threader (optional)
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Hazelnut, Almond, Chocolate, White, and Black
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Brown (434), Light Mocha Beige (3864), Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938), and Snow White (B5200)
- Polyester Fiber Fill — Lia Griffith Stuffie Puff
- Craft Eyes – 5mm
- Tacky Glue
- Fabric Pen — Dritz Disappearing Ink
How to Make a Felt Deer
- Gather your tools and supplies. Then download the pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to template using a cutting machine with a rotary blade (optional) or scissors. The photo tutorial shows how to make the stag deer, but it is the same instructions to make the doe, just swap the almond felt for white.
- Sew the legs to the underside piece using 2 strands of the beige or white embroidery floss (whichever matches) and a whip stitch, working from what will be the inside of the legs. Match and follow the curve of the leg openings, and ensure that the legs are facing the right way.
- Repeat for all of the legs.
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Love working with felt? Browse all of our felt crafts here. Or see what other felt animal stuffies you can make.
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.
These dear are the same dear that were done years ago. More spots on these and male a different color on underbody. Nothing really changed. I have a yearly membership just to get the a new felt animal every month and was disappointed.
Hi Deborah. I just confirmed with Krista, and she noted that she did update the template as well as include the new items like the safety eyes. I did notice a few weeks ago that because they were named similarly the old one was attached rather than the new one. Double-check that you have the newest template. It should have 2022 in the copyright line.
Sorry, I meant to say the photo tutorial.
This is a new photo tutorial
hi, your SVG is the same as the one you created a long time ago. Is this right? Those dear are different
I think this SVG is similar but updated a bit. I will confirm that with Kirsta.