Simple and classic, gardenias are a very popular garden flower. We have made both a frosted paper gardenia as well as a crepe paper version. So today we are showing you how to make a felt gardenia that Krista designed. Making flowers in different materials is something we love to do, but this flower was also a member request!
When you’re ready to get started, just check out our supplies list below. Then download our pattern and tutorial to start crafting.
Our felt gardenia tutorial shows you how to make a full bloom and bud. This way you can create a full and realistic flower arrangement if you want. As always you can vary how many leaves you add and flowers you make depending on what you want to do with your gardenias.
Skill level: Intermediate (due to the extra attention that is needed for placement of petals)
Crafting tips: You can make this felt gardenia very bushy and branchy by adding extra leaves for a more full and wild garden arrangement. Or you can make single stems to stick into a felt flower bouquet.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- Detail Scissors
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Pastel Soft Art Sponge
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt — Vanilla and Moss
- Floral Wire – 24-Gauge Paper Covered Green
- Floral Wire – 18-Gauge Paper Covered Green
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- 1.5 cm Wool Ball (any color) or 15 mm Cotton Spun Paper Balls
- Floral Tape — Green
- PanPastel Artist Pastel – Hansa Yellow Shade 220.3
- Aleene’s Stiffen-Quick Fabric Stiffening Spray
How to Make a Felt Gardenia
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the flower pattern below.
- Cut out felt according to pattern using a cutting machine with a rotary blade (optional) or scissors. The photo tutorial shows how to make a single branch with a gardenia bloom and bud, so the amounts in the pattern are based on that.
- Poke a hole into a 1.5cm felt ball (any color works) using something sharp like a Cricut weeding tool, or use a 15mm cotton spun ball as a form. Glue a length of 18-gauge floral wire into the hole. Form the felt center piece into a cone on top of the ball and glue.
- Glue the left edge of a small petal where the seam of the cone piece overlaps (see photo tutorial).
Full tutorial available for members to download below.
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.