Some of you may remember our original bird of paradise from a few years ago. As always, we like to kick things up a notch, especially as we improve our flower patterns and techniques. So for this month’s Member Make workshop, Meagan has designed an all-new heavy crepe paper bird of paradise for us to craft!
To get started, gather the tools and materials you need from our list below. If you want to craft along with us, you can also cut the flower pattern ahead of time. Our Member Make workshop will be live on May 21st at 11:00am PT.
Create your own paradise
I am loving the bright, vibrant colors that Meagan used for our heavy crepe paper bird of paradise. For an extra pop of color, she also added two different shades of PanPastel to the sheathing. Along with teaching you how to make this stunning flower, we will show you how to make the tropical leaves that go with it as well.
Altogether this arrangement is a great way to enjoy some tropical decor inside your home and create a space that feels like your own personal paradise. The shapes of our heavy crepe paper bird of paradise are also simple enough to cut by hand if you do not have a cutting machine. Plus there aren’t very many pieces needed for this flower.
If you have not joined us for Member Make before, be sure to read our instructions below on how to participate!
Skill level: Intermediate
Crafting tips: You can change up the color of the stamen if you want something other than teal or coral. For example, you could use purple or a brighter pink. Also, we would not recommend using hot glue for this flower except where indicated for one piece because you would see where the glue was used for some seams.
How to Join Our Member Make Challenge
- Become a member and — if you want to meet other flower makers and get more crafting tips — join our Facebook page for members (the link to join will be in your welcome email).
- Gather the craft tools and materials you need from our list below. Then download the crepe paper flower template or SVG file at the end of this post.
- Join our YouTube Live on May 21st at 11:00 a.m. PT to learn how to make this heavy crepe paper bird of paradise. We will share the link to join on the Facebook page for members and send it to members who are on our email list. It will also be available for playback here once the live workshop is over.
- Don’t forget to get creative with it! You can always use a different color of crepe paper for your flowers and leaves or try different coloring techniques.
- If you need some guidance, reach out to us and others in our crafting community. You can also post progress pictures or ask questions on our Facebook page for members. Make sure to use the hashtag #MemberMake on Instagram and Facebook so your project is easy to find.
- Lastly, share your final version of your heavy crepe paper bird of paradise! You can post your pictures on our Facebook page for members or on your Instagram page with the hashtag #MemberMake.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Craft Scissors
- Cricut Maker or Silhouette Cameo 4 (optional)
- High-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Curling Tool
- Lia Griffith Heavy Crepe Paper – Juniper, Teal, Mango, and Coral
- Lia Griffith Double-Sided Crepe Paper — Ferns & Moss
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Thick Paper-Covered Stem Wire
- 18-Gauge Green Paper-Covered Wire
- 24-Gauge White Paper-Covered Wire
- Tacky Glue
- PanPastel Lia Griffith Designer Set — Magenta (430.5)
- PanPastel — Phthalo Green Tint (620.8)
- Toilet Paper
Get prepared for our live workshop by gathering the supplies you need to make this bird of paradise. Then download the flower pattern below and join us on May 21st at 11:00 am PT with your private YouTube link.