There are certain childhood activities that end at adulthood. But playing with shrink film shouldn’t be one of them! Shrink film is one of our favorite materials for DIY earrings, necklaces, and other handcrafted jewelry. Not only is it easy to work with, but you can use it with our templates to create some amazing accessories. Ready to start? Today we are going to show you how to create these pretty shrink film leaf earrings and an earring holder to hang them on.
If you like these leaf earrings, be sure to check out our monstera leaf earrings. We used shrink film for those too!
Beleaf in Your DIY Skills
Today’s DIY project is proof that it is easy peasy to create your own pretty jewelry. All you need is our leaf template and the craft tools and materials listed below. Then just follow the instructions! It’s as simple as cut, bake, color—and then attaching the earring hook.
While you could use gold shrink film, we decided to color our shrink film leaf earrings instead. The gold leafing pen dries quickly and it will look similar to real gold plating when you’re finished. But if you want your earrings to be a different color, go for it!
When you’re done crafting, let us know what you think of your new shrink film leaf earrings! And don’t forget to share pictures of them on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #MadeWithLia. We always love to see your creations. And we may just repost them for our Friday Feature!
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker
- Craft Scissors (if cutting by hand)
- Small Hole Punch (if cutting by hand)
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Adhesive Dot Roller
- Shrink Film — Clear Matte
- Gold Leafing Pen
- Earring Hooks & Jump Rings
- Cardstock Paper – FAV Shimmer Garnet Plum and Curious Metallic Chestnut
How to Make the Shrink Film Leaf Earrings:
- Download the leaf template at the end of this post.
- Using the template, cut your shrink film with scissors or on a cutting machine. We cut this on a Cricut Maker using a pink Fabric mat on the “Gel Sheet” setting (which cuts the design four times).
- Bake shrink film according to package directions. Let cool completely.
- Color each side of the leaf shape with the gold leaf pen (or acrylic paint of your choice); let dry completely.
- Attach leaf to earring hook with jump ring.
How to Make the Earring Holder:
- Download the earring holder pattern at the end of this post.
- Print the pattern directly onto cardstock and follow directions on template. Or use our SVG cut file with your cutting machine.
- Add adhesive; then fold each flap and secure closed.
- Fold up and tuck in last flap on end.
Love Making Jewelry?
If you want more DIY jewelry ideas and inspiration, we’re here to help! Check out our recent projects, like our turquoise crescent hoop earrings made out of polymer clay, or long-time favorites, like our simple macrame necklace.
For instant access to all of our DIY projects, join our crafting community. This includes printable patterns, SVG files, step-by-step tutorials, and more. Head on over to our membership page now to see our two membership options as well as the full list of membership perks!
Become a Member to unlock this project
Are you having trouble? Feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help you out.