Since it’s officially summertime here, we are shifting over to warm-weather decor ideas, which means it’s time for a new cactus project! Just like our other cactus crafts, our stuffed felt Saguaro cactus is cute, quirky, and fun to make. Our designer Krista came up with this cactus and enjoyed it so much that she might be feeling inspired to come up with some more cactus home decor. In the meantime, we are sharing the tutorial for this felt Saguaro cactus with you so you can craft it on your own!
This felt cactus is a great project for those of you with an intermediate skill level or higher. So if you’re in search of a simpler project, check out our felted mini cactus plants. Or try out our felt cactus pincushion if you want to practice your stitching skills.
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
Cute Cactus Decor
We hope cactus decor never goes out of style because we love to get creative with our cacti designs. Plus crafting your own cactus out of felt or paper means you can keep it around forever. And you don’t have to worry about sharp spines.
With its detailed stitching, pretty felt flowers, and decorative felt pot, this felt Saguaro cactus will definitely stand out in your home. Since this cactus involves some intricate stitches in addition to sewing, we’re calling it an intermediate project. We highly recommend making it, especially if you want to keep growing your crafting skills! And remember, you can always reach out to us if you have any questions.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
How to Make a Felt Saguaro Cactus
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the cactus pattern listed on the right hand side at the top of this post.
- Cut out your felt pieces according to the pattern, using scissors or a Cricut Maker.
- Sew a long line down the middle of one of the cactus body pieces using a backstitch and three strands of light green embroidery floss. You can use a disappearing ink pen to make a straight line guide.
- Every two stitches, sew two more small stitches on both sides of the line to make a small “V.”
Full tutorial available for members. Join here.
Like this project? Explore our other cactus crafts. In addition to using felt, we have crafted some adorable paper cacti, created a cactus ring holder out of clay, and designed an embroidered watercolor cactus art print. You can also browse more succulent plants here.
To make all of these fabulous projects and more, sign up for your own crafting membership. Membership includes printable patterns, SVG files, easy tutorials, and other fun perks.
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Stuffing Tool
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Juniper, Apricot, Papaya, Terracotta, and Bark Brown
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Light Apricot (3824), Moss Green (581), Medium Avocado Green (937), Medium Mahogany (301), Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938), and Ultra Light Mahogany (3856)
- Fabric Pen — Clover Disappearing Ink
- 24-Gauge Green Paper-Covered Wire
- Thin Cardboard Scrap
- Small Rock or Other Weight
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member