Our designer Krista is back at it again with the adorable felt animals. A couple of months ago, she designed this beautiful swan. And today she has crafted another aquatic animal—a felt sea otter stuffie! This is our first otter project on the site, so you’ll have to tell us what you think. You can also let us know if you have any requests for a new felt animal stuffie!
Since this cute little guy spends most of his time in the sea, we gave him a small felt seashell to hold. We also cut out some paper seashells and starfish for fun. You can find the pattern for those paper cutouts in this post. Or you can cut some out of felt, instead, like we did for our mermaid headband.
Goodies You Can't Google
You've found a member-exclusive project. But for less than the price of a fancy coffee... You'll get instant access to this and over 2,000 other premium projects inside the Lia Griffith membership!Become a Member
For our felt sea otter stuffie, we used a wool blend felt by Benzie in brown, toast, and black. And for the shell, we used blue spruce. You can use the same colors or choose the ones you like best. If you do go with the blue spruce felt, we have other project ideas you can use it for, like our felt eucalyptus! Or you can use it to craft other fun accessories for your felt animals.
If you want to create a whole zoo of animals in addition to your felt sea otter stuffie, we have lots of other ideas on the site for you too. You can craft our cute polar bear, our felt brown bear, our felt zebra, and our felt lion and lioness. We also have some handsewn felt giraffes you can make!
Craft them for your own collection, or gift them to someone. They’re great for imaginative play, so if you know any little ones who would love a felt sea otter stuffie, this project would be perfect! If you make this sea otter or any of our other felt animals, be sure to share your finished creations with us by tagging #MadeWithLia on Instagram or Facebook. Happy crafting! ~ Lia and team
Crafting Tip: New to crafting felt animal stuffies and want to learn more? Take our mini course, 8 Easy Steps to Create Any Felt Stuffie.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
How to Make a Felt Sea Otter Stuffie
- Gather your craft tools and materials. Then download the sea otter pattern on the right hand side at the top of this post.
- Cut out felt pieces according to thee pattern, using scissors or a Cricut Maker. We recommend using detail scissors for some of the smaller pieces.
- Sew the muzzle and nose onto one of the head pieces, using a single strand of floss in tan and black.
- Sew 3–4 horizontal lines with three strands of black floss, just under the muzzle to make a small mouth.
Full tutorial available for members. Join here!
Come Get Crafty with Us!
- Cricut Maker (optional)
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors (recommended)
- Embroidery Needle
- Straight Pins
- Stuffing Tool
- Lia Griffith’s Wool Blend Felt – Bark Brown, Camel, Black and Spruce
- Embroidery Floss — DMC Ultra Dark Coffee Brown (938), Blue Green (502), Black (310), Off White (746) and Light Tan (437)
- Craft Eyes x2 — 6mm
All the Goodies You Can't Google 🎁
Tired of scrolling endlessly for the perfect project? Save time, money, and Google-induced headaches with us! Our membership makes it easy to create beautifully finished crafts without needing to look all over the internet for ideas and materials or spend lots of money on individual videos and templates.Become a Member