Since most of us are staying home right now, we want to give you more ways to enjoy your space. That’s why our May Craft Collection is all about creating your own paradise at home! One way you can do this is by making your own tropical flowers. The hibiscus is one of our favorites, so we’ve decided to craft some new crepe paper hibiscus flowers for this month’s Member Make.
We will be going live on YouTube on the 15th, but we’re sharing all of the details now so you can be prepared for our workshop. Just scroll down to see the tools and materials you will need. You can also cut the flower pattern ahead of time if you want to craft your crepe paper hibiscus flowers along with us.
Home is Where the Hibiscus is
These crepe paper hibiscus flowers make such beautiful home decor. They would also be so pretty for a tropical baby shower or bridal shower. If you are having to cancel any in-person events right now and do them virtually, you can still decorate one of your rooms and have everyone else do the same so it feels like you’re celebrating together.
Although you can get as creative as you want to when making your crepe paper hibiscus flowers, we will say that using a blender marker is really important in creating the watercolor effect in the center of the flower. We also recommend ruffling the edges of your petals with your fingers. We will show you these techniques during our live workshop, so don’t worry if you’re not quite sure how to do this yet!
If you have never participated in Member Make, just read the steps below. And be sure to let us know if you have any questions!
How to Join Our Member Make Challenge
- Become a member and make sure to join our private Facebook page for members.
- Gather the craft tools and materials you need for these crepe paper hibiscus flowers— listed below. Then download the printable flower template or SVG file at the end of this post.
- Join our YouTube Live on May 15th at 11:00 a.m. PST to craft this project with us! We will share the link to join on the Facebook page for members and send it to members who are on our email list. It will also be available for playback here once the live workshop is over.
- Watch our video tutorial to craft along with us and create your own version of these crepe paper hibiscus flowers. You can use different colors of paper, materials, or techniques; play around with your arrangement; or style your flowers in different ways.
- If you need some guidance, reach out to us and others in our crafting community. You can also post progress pictures or ask questions on our Facebook page for members. Make sure to use the hashtag #MemberMake on Instagram and Facebook so your project is easy to find.
- Lastly, share your final version of your crepe paper hibiscus flowers with us! You can post your pictures on our Facebook page for members or on your Instagram page with the hashtag #MemberMake.
This content uses links from which we may earn a commission. Disclosure.
- Cricut Maker or Craft Scissors
- Detail Scissors
- Curling Tool
- Low-Temp Hot Glue Gun
- Needle-Nose Pliers/Wire Cutters
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper — Secret Garden: Camellia, Coral, Blush, and Chiffon
- Lia Griffith Extra-Fine Crepe Paper — Ruby or Cranberry and Juniper
- Floral Tape — Fern & Moss
- Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
- Thick Paper Covered Stem Wire
- 24-Gauge Green Paper-Covered Wire
- 24-Gauge White Paper-Covered Wire
- Blick Studio Brush Marker — Brick Red (033) and Colorless Blender (0)
- Art Sponge