Sometimes, you want to give your place a whole new look. But you also don’t want to spend a lot, either. Today I’m sharing some quick and easy ways to transform your home. If you’re signed up for our weekly emails, I’m expanding on the top 10 home decor tips I recently shared.
My Top 10 Home Decor Tips
- Change the wall color. The quickest way to change the energy in a room is to change the wall color. This could mean painting an entire room, painting a single wall, or adding removable wallpaper. Whatever you prefer, changing your wall color is a simple and inexpensive way to create a different look or vibe. You can also change the color as often as you want—once every few years, once a year, or even every season. If you’re not sure what colors to choose, you can look at the color trends for the year or think of common shades you see in fall/winter and spring/summer. And remember, it’s not permanent! If you don’t love it, you can change it.
- Accessorize! You don’t need to buy new furniture to create a whole new look. An easy way to change the look and feel of a room is to accessorize with pillows, throws, and other small décor. Plus, it’s a lot more affordable! Just like you would choose a certain watch or necklace to wear with your outfit, you can style a room with home décor. Softer items like pillows and throws also make the room feel cozier. While it can be fun to shop for home decor, we recommend making some of it yourself to save money. (You can still browse stores for home decor ideas!) It’s also a great way to personalize your space, which leads us into the next tip!
- Personalize your space. Make the space yours with objects that are meaningful to you and DIY projects you’re proud of. While we love certain stores and products, decorating with items that are handmade or significant to you will make your space feel more unique. Plus, it will make you feel happy every time you see them! In addition to DIY projects, these home decor items could be something you picked up while traveling, a gift you received, or something passed down to you from a family member.
- Don’t rely on overhead lighting. Lighting can have a big effect on the ambiance of a room. If overhead lighting is your main source of light, using floor lamps and table lamps will add more warmth to a room. Also, sometimes it’s nice to just have a couple lamps on in the evenings instead of all your overhead lights shining down on you. Floor lamps and table lamps are also a good idea if you need light in a specific spot, like next to a chair where you read or a desk where you work. Make sure to choose lamps that go with the rest of your home decor or complement certain colors in your room.
- Hide anything unsightly. Electronics and wires can be a bit of an eyesore. They can also make your space feel more cluttered or disorganized. I recommend covering your electronics when they’re not in use and hiding your wires. Since I don’t want my TV to be the focal point of my living room, I created this stylish TV cover that’s easy to remove and rehang. Plus, it looks like beautiful wall art.
- Bring the outside in! Whether it’s real plants or paper plants, adding some greenery can really liven up a room. Seeing greenery can also help you feel more relaxed and calm. Paper plants are a great option for spaces in your house that don’t have a lot of light or if you want a zero maintenance plant that doesn’t require regular upkeep. And since some plants can be toxic to pets, I recommend just making your favorite plant out of paper. You can save the real ones for your front porch or patio!
- Use wreaths as home décor. Do you only bring out wreaths to hang on your front door during the holidays? Well, I’m here to tell you that you can hang wreaths anytime—and indoors! Paper wreaths will last a long time, and you can create a lot of different varieties. You can make your paper wreaths with different types of leaves and flowers, add pops of color, and integrate gold or copper wire. You can also use wreaths as centerpieces for holiday tables.
- Consider which colors you want to use. This ties into my first tip, but changing the color can have such a huge impact on a room! I recommend choosing colors that reflect the energy you want to bring into a room. If you want to create a calm, soothing space, go with cooler, muted tones. If you want more energy, choose brighter, warmer tones. I tend to go with neutral tones for furniture, like sofas, tables, and chairs. And then I add color I can easily change out, such as pillows and other home decor accessories.
- Style your fireplace. And I’m not just talking about the mantle! When I’m not using my fireplace in the summer, I find ways to make it look more appealing. Otherwise, it’s just an empty, dark hole! A few years back, I displayed candles in my fireplace during the summer. And more recently, I used birch wood to make a fireplace cover. You can also switch out the decor on your mantle every season. Since we’re heading into fall next month, here’s one idea for how to style a mantle for autumn.
- Create an inviting entryway. When we talk about entryways, we often think about the interior. But what about the exterior? Your front porch is the first thing people see—before they even walk into your home. So if you want to create a more welcoming space, don’t forget to decorate your porch! Even if you have a small porch, a custom doormat and a couple small planters can make a big difference. If you have more space, you can add a chair or two, a side table, and seasonal decor. If you need ideas, here’s how I decorated my front porch for fall.
Is there anything on this list that speaks to you? Or do you have any great home decor ideas you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments below!
For more home decor ideas, tips, and inspiration, make sure to follow us on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and YouTube. You can also join our crafting community! Take a look at our membership options if you want access to all of our projects, including printable patterns, SVG cut files, and simple tutorials.